Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I have ideas circulating for a new engraving. I want to try and depict the speed and thrill of riding a wooden bellyboard in the surf. The sort of wave that you catch and which then carries you pell mell with walls of foam sizzling past your ears and dumps you onto dry sand! Here's a first scribble:

I might paint a watercolour of it too, as a part of the process. Watercolour by it's very nature can create unexpected and pleasing effects, something I might be able to translate into the wood block.

In the meantime, here are some more beach studies:











Is it telling that I'm drawing people facing away from me? Hmmmmm........Will have to rectify that. I'm taking my sketchpad to the World Bellyboard Championships at Chapel Porth, near St Agnes on Sunday 4th. I hope to sketch between and after my heats and to that end I'm taking my special gel handwarmers with me! Seeing as the rules don't  allow you to wear a wetsuit for your dips in the surf, I think I'm going to have to try and keep warm!

5 comments:

fhiona galloway said...

ooh have fun at the championships Sue-great sketches!! hope they are those camper van hand warmers ;0))))

Sue said...

They certainly are, Fhi! They're an absolute godsend! :-))

Rebecca Olive said...

For Sue!

http://makingfriendswiththeneighbours.blogspot.com/2011/08/cornish-summer.html

Sue said...

Oh wow, what a lovely post, Rebecca! I'm so glad you like them. I'm posting more on my site today and will be sketching furiously between my heats at the World Bellyboard Championships, this Sunday 4th. Very retro event, that one, I hope to capture the feel of it. :-)
Thanks!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Love your beach studies Sue!!! Good luck for Sunday - hope that the water's not too cold. Lesley x