Monday, May 16, 2011

Thinking time

I do find that engraving a block, given that each cut is irrevocable, lends itself to a certain amount of 'thinking time'. If one has the luxury of course and isn't harnessed to a deadline, in which case it's as best to have decided your approach early on so as not to incur any delay.

I had hoped to be further along with this block but was called away to do something else. But I propped it up so that I could see it and take my time in fixing in my head what was to remain black, what should have a hard edge, what textures, etc. I like to do that. I have enough 'hurry hurry hurry' in my 'day job' and to be able to relax a bit is liberating.

Anyway, I'm on the block again and this is this afternoon's work. More tomorrow......

3 comments:

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Time - to think and to look - is essential when it comes to creating an artwork I find. Nice to watch this engraving unfolding. x

Keith said...

Absolutely. Often I find if you live with a piece for a while, during the doing of it, it will quietly point out to you that it needs something other than what you had intended to do.

Ed. said...

It's funny you mention this today (at least I think it was new today). For the last few nights right before bed I've gone down to where I do my carving and picked up the current project, a linoleum block depicting two hands holding a trout. Anyway, too late and too tired to start doing anything, I found that it was nice to just kind of study it for a bit, and do exactly as you described. Plan on how to tackle an area I was unsure about, perhaps.

Unrelated, I suppose, but it was during one such planning session that I found myself looking for a shortcut, trying to figure out a way to carve around small circles (the spots on the trout), without actually carving a bunch of painstaking circles, some sort of faster 'effect' that might simulate the general look I was going for. Well, in the still of late night, without a tool in my hand, it was an easy answer: Carve the stupid circles, you lazy bum. Who cares how long it takes.

I'm happy with that decision, and with the block thus far. And I'm happy to get something out of just looking at the block every now and then, without feeling like I have to sit down and carve for a time.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your insights Sue.