Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's evolving......


The sketch is generally only a rough guide to follow and if I'm very lucky, I find the block evolves as I engrave it. Things get altered; a bit lighter here or a texture there and additions or deletions (before they're engraved, of course!).

I think the central stage area will be mostly white with small areas of light texturing (I shall take away some of the texturing I've already done as I like the bold silhouettes of the audience against the white.) I'm seriously considering removing the plant from the bottom right and replacing it with something else Minack-ish. Maybe a portion of the wonderful carved stonework they have there. Or a half-finished cup of cocoa on the grassy ledge perhaps!

It really is a fantastic place. It was created by one determined woman and her grumpy gardener. http://www.minack.com/ Below are a couple of photos I took when I went.



A panorama of the auditorium




 And just before the play opened. Note the moon over the distant cliffs. Magical!

3 comments:

Chris.P said...

Liking the look of this Sue.

I enjoyed going to see Merlin at the Minack the other year. It was flippin cold at night though. Also hoisting my mum up the steps in near darkness was a bit scary:)

Ellen Shipley said...

I can't imagine how cool (ok, maybe cold) it would be to see a play there. 8-] I know my son would love to perform there.

Barbara Carr said...

This is on its way to being a great print! I love the subject matter, as I saw Macbeth there about 20 years ago. It was amazing!