Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Final printing


Here's the final print. I made few changes to the block. Just opened out the two 'l's in Woollatt at the bottom and added a few more lines of texture to the gull's tum.

I haven't editioned it or anything, just made about 20 prints but I'm happy to swap if anybody wants a bookplate swap. I'm thinking of doing a bookplate for my Mum, an unrepentant bookworm; she's got so many books though, I'd never be able to print enough by hand to keep up! Just a small edition, then that she can paste into her favourites.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a new block idea and will post the sketches as soon as I have something intelligible.

8 comments:

Jan said...

Nicely done, Sue. Did you know that lots of people collect bookplates?

Sue said...

Thanks, Jan! Yes, I'm exchanging this with a couple of collectors and looking round the internet on bookplate sites, I could have caught the bug! I had no idea there were such a variety out there, and some are very witty puns on the owners' names; I like those best, I think.

Ed. said...

Very cool! I think the gull turned out just perfect, just the right amount carved and left behind. Same with the sky. I imagine the lettering is hard!

Ed. said...

Sue if you are so inclined, could you send me an email at ejfelker (at) verizon.net? Thanks! Ed.

Ellen Shipley said...

Gorgeous. So crisp. I'm up for a swap! I'll need to do a book plate now. 8-]

Sue said...

Thanks for the positive comments, all!
I'd not really tried carving lettering before, Ed. I found the maple wood quite fibrous in parts and think a harder wood would be better for small lettering.

Ellen, better get carving! LOL!

Sharri said...

Wonderful work -- and what a great gift for Mom (assuming you are going to do one for her!) Like Ellen, if I were going to swap I would first have to make one of these critters. You should enter yours in the Ex Libris competition.
;-)

Rebecca Olive said...

Oh I LOVE bookplates! MUCH better than my illegible scrawl announcing my name! Gorgeous!