Thursday, March 31, 2011

Proofs

The first proof. You can see the background/white areas need gouging a little lower to get rid of the spottyness where the ink roller has found bits not cut low enough. 

The second proof, after more cutting and tidying up. Just a couple of little blips to shave off on one edge. I'd like to practice my lettering cutting some more, as I'm very picky. Also if I'm honest, I should have raised the composition up on the block so that the swash of the 'L' in Libris wasn't so close to the base, but as a first time it'll pass.

10 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

I think it looks great. :-)

Ellen Shipley said...

I so love this Sue! I want to steal a book from you just so I can have one. ;->

Sue said...

Thanks,chaps! Ellen; I'm up for a little print swap, if you fancy? :-D

fhiona galloway said...

looks great Sue!!

Chris.P said...

I'm starting to notice a common theme with your work:)

Love the tonal interchange with the text. It really works well.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

I like both proofs....x

Swan Artworks said...

It looks great! As always fascinating to see the whole engraving process and all the lovely marks in the block...

Are you curious about me? said...

It looks wonderful to me.

Anonymous said...

I just love your work!

My only concern is the Ls in Woollat. The tails make them read as lowercase Bs to me. Could you open them up a bit?

Annie Fitt

Jan said...

I love it, I don't read the 'ells' as 'bees', maybe down to what you're used to seeing . Your comment on the swash of the libris is spot on. We're always our own worst critics!