Friday, March 11, 2011

Crumbly carving, seals and a bit of luck

I have carved my lino block some more, as you can see below. As the lino must be about 30 years old it's tough and crumbly, but relents a little and cuts cleaner when warmed up, so I'm persevering. I fully intend to get some fresh lino soon for some other ideas I've had.

However, my great love, wood engraving is still to the fore and I thought I had run out of blocks, hence the quick diversion to lino. But I have just discovered a small 75mm x 53mm maple block hidden in the corner of my block box! So I may try and engrave some seals I saw playing in the shallows at Godrevy, Cornwall, near where I live, alongside the lino block. I have sketches ready:


And the really good news is that over the weekend, I won just over £100 in a draw, enabling me to send a batch of 30-odd year-old, engraved box and pearwood blocks to Chris Daunt, the blockmaker, to be resurfaced, so I can engrave on them again. Recycling at it's best! So I shall have enough wood to keep me busy for some months to come. Hooray!

7 comments:

Sarah Wimperis said...

hurrah, almost like free money!

Jan said...

Congrats on your win, I love the recycling idea. Wish I could do the same with the magnesium plates. I love the way you show water, those waves are very realistic.

MaRegina said...

great work!
kisses

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Good news Sue, glad that your creative impulses can be continue to manifest themselves. x

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Sorry, ignore the 'be'. L x

Ellen Shipley said...

Congrats on the windfall. The sealion looks like fun.

Chris.P said...

Wow! A hundred quid seems like a fortune to me at the moment:)

How's the day job?