Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Lair of Mrs Magoo

 Here is my engraving space today. You can see the block I'm working on. It's lying on a leather sandbag for ease of moving the block under the tool. That's raised up on top of a computer software manual, which is just the right thickness! The small block next to it is a scrap piece used to try out textures before I commit them to the block. The small grey corner of card is used to protect the block from being bruised by the back of the tool. My tool sharpening block is on the tabletop, along with a nice stiff (ex-stencilling) brush for sweeping away the wood chips and my magnifying goggles which make me look like Mrs Magoo, but save my eyes from undue strain. For light I use a vintage Anglepoise lamp, which I would like sometime to exchange for something that runs a little cooler! And there's a nice cup of tea to keep me going, served in a jolly mug I received from an illustrator friend  in a 'Secret Santa' exchange.

Today I have been concentrating on the plants at the bottom. I've rubbed a little talc in the lines to show them to you clearer. I wish I hadn't used that white paint to sketch on the block though, it has proved impossible to wipe away and makes gauging line size harder. Luckily it'll go when I pull the first test proof.

6 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Really interesting to see how it all works together. Would love to see you actually working. Although I can imagine the process, everyone has their own way of doing things. :-) Thanks for sharing. Love what you did with the flowers. Great flowing detail. :-) xo

Jan said...

I thought the white paint was a brilliant idea, but can see how it might not work so well. Looking great,the detail is amazing.

Ellen Shipley said...

The block is just so detailed! I like the white lines, but I can see they'd get in the way of the carving. But it looks so lovely.

Sue said...

Thanks for the nice comments!
I'm loving engraving it, it's the best part, apart from revealing a perfectly-pulled print! That's going to be the hard part. I think this is going to be a complete pig to print, due to the small detail. I hope I'm wrong.

Caroline B said...

I'm always surprised at how little it all is - you must spend hours getting all that detail done on such a small scale. No room for error!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

What a little gem! I love the plants and you have really captured the depth of the scene Sue, with the boats below. x