Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Call of the Sea(gull)



I've been busy with the block as you can see. I've added some more gouache sketching in white to guide me, as pencil and carbon paper marks rub away quite easily. My efforts have been concentrated on the figure and boathouse apron area. Below is a detail.
You can see my friend the seagull is calling.  The dog tries to will him down from the roof. Is the human figure an old sea dog? He looks a bit stern, as if the little boats aren't tidy and ship-shape enough for him.

You can tell I'm enjoying this, can't you?

9 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

This is fabulous. Love your quirky view points and perspectives. Can't wait to see the finished print!

Annie B said...

Wow, another wonderful design. So much story in one little print.

Sue said...

Hey, Annie! As your comment came through, I had just started to read your latest blog entry! Coincidence! LOL!

Sharri said...

Your seagulls eye views are always so intriguing. Love your compositions, they make one want to climb down into the subject and get a closer look!

Ellen Shipley said...

Your compositions are absolutely amazing. I love to see them develop. 8-]

Jan said...

Great to see the sea gull again, and the figures. Also to see how you work with the white gouache.

SKIZO said...

Thank you for sharing
This fabulous work with us
Good creations

Lynne Chapman said...

Such beautiful use of your slightly twisted perspective and it's astonishingly 3-dimensional, already! Great work.

Sue said...

Hee hee, I like that description...'Slightly Twisted'...a bit like me! LOL