Thursday, August 19, 2010

Further to the last post......

Going on from my last post, I have now turned the composition 90 degrees to 'portrait' ratio, putting the split on the block on the bottom third (see red line on the scribbled rough). With a fair bit of compositional squeezing and jiggling it now misses all the vital components and can be gently eased out of a starring role.

While I was there, I have enlarged the rock samphire plants at the bottom, added a flying gull and given the whole image a cut-away outline. I like this version better.

Again, what do you think?

6 comments:

Swan Artworks said...

I really like this new portrait composition, it excentuates the scale and the sense of looking down, and I like the way the seagull kind of closes the composition in the top corner. Seems much more balanced this way... :)

Ellen Shipley said...

Man I just love your perspectives!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Somehow I prefer the landscape viewpoint - the portrait format will be great anyway and you'll always have the original drawing Sue, but for me the original composition really works. Will follow with interest as always, Lesley.

Andy English said...

Loving this new composition :)

Annie B said...

I agree with Ellen -- the perspectives you use in your work always surprise and delight me. This seems a smart solution to the crack problem.

Keith said...

very clever solution to your crack problem. Looking forward to watching it's progression.