Thursday, May 06, 2010
As promised, I have set to and printed the block. It was probably the easiest block I've ever printed....hardly any duff prints, at first glance, but I need to have a good look through them later, when they're dry. This is a vast improvement on my duff/good print ratio when I first began printing....then it was almost 50%!
The block is 12.6cm x 8.8cm and was an old pear (I think) block that I sent away to be re-surfaced and thus re-used. It's a very good type of recycling, as it saves you the cost of a new block (and end-grain blocks aren't cheap) but you do have to contend with the block being lower than type-high, as the original design has been shaved off it. Nothing a piece or two of card under the block, on the press bed, won't fix though. Of course if you print without a press, say, you burnish your prints with a spoon, then the height of the block becomes irrelevant.
It was printed on a thin Japanese paper called Sunome Senaka, using my old Farley cylinder proofing press.
And a peep now at the sketch for the next idea, one that I have actually started to engrave. The image is 7.6 x 9 cm and depicts one of the many engine /winding houses that dot the Cornish landscape hereabouts (I live in the Camborne area) and the image also celebrates the rare snow that covered Cornwall this winter.
This is a smallish block, (another re-surfaced one) so I think I will keep it simple in detail and clean-lined.