Friday, March 26, 2010

First proof and the amendments to be made

Well, it's been a long time! I pulled this first proof two weeks ago, but at last I've had the time to consider the changes that need to be made. Overall I'm quite pleased with the way it has come out; it just needs a little lightening here and there to lend some definition and focus. One print, here on the left, I have left as it came off the press. The other has been worked on with white gouache.

You can see I've lightened the foreground figure as he/she was getting lost in the background. There are some roof lines more defined and the seagull. Then I've added more rain coming in and softened the horizon.

I'm going to keep looking at these over the weekend before I cut any further. I may lighten further areas.

8 comments:

PG said...

I am so glad you started printing again Sue, they just get better and better, this HAS to be my favourite so far (but then, so was the last one!)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

This is so interesting - to see a project, months in the making nearing completion. I'll pop back again to see how you're getting on. Bye for now, Lesley

Magpie Magic said...

Sue, it's gorgeous... Just compared the two and wondered... I'd not lighten the house on the left but the rooftop line to work with the waves like you did the others... Hope you don't mind the suggestion. When I looked at it I thought how some of the roof top lines work with the waves and the incoming storm and add movement to the print.

Jan said...

So interesting to see the two side by side, thanks for that. I find that balance of black, white and in between difficult, and I'm fascinated to see how you deal with it. Many thanks.
Jan

Sue said...

Thanks for all the comments, folks! Sybille....I think you could have a point; I shall certainly look at lightening that roof...thanks!:-)

Sarah Summers said...

Lovely image Sue

The altered image is more defined,the foreground figure stands out much better aswell. It looks great, I really like this one. I agree with Sybille, the very tops of the rooves might need to be lightened slightly. Gosh, that must have taken you ages to do.
Sarah

John said...

Beautiful work, full of rural charm and graphic intimacy. Great stuff!

Helz Cuppleditch said...

Wonderful work Sue, the detail and content is amazing... bloomin' clever! Helz x