Monday, August 10, 2009

A small triumph and new thoughts


For those of you who didn't hear the yodeling from the rooftops...my latest print (Dinner is Served, above) made it into the Society of Wood Engravers 72nd Annual exhibition. To say I am pleased may seem a small understatement given the happy dance I performed on opening the letter, but more importantly it means I'm finding my direction at last. 'Dinner' was the first time I had engraved and felt in control of the way it was going to look at the finish. The composition and subject matter were all me; the sort of thing I've done for a number of years in other media and feel at ease with. The distortion of perspective was new for me, a brave move but it felt right and gives a twist to the look of the piece.




Above is a scribble of an idea for another piece, exploring further the movement created by distortion and perspective. Also it's a small dig about the encroachment of big-league supermarkets into our smaller communities. There is still a goodly amount of re-sketching to do, there are parts that feel wrong, parts that grate and parts that need emphasis. It's a start though.

7 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Congratulations, fantastic, I expected no less:~)
Next one looks good too.
No shock for cord chomping bunny!, they love phone cords even more.......

natural attrill said...

Well done Sue!

I love the sense of movement in your new sketch.

Penny.

PG said...

Of course it did; it is wonderful! You really are finding your direction, the next one looks to be even better.

Magpie Magic said...

I am so pleased the print made it into the exhibition. It's lovely and I am NOT AT ALL surprised they loved it too.

I can see where you're going with the new one and I think once you've got all the parts so they feel right it will be great.

It's good to see that you're tackling all sorts of subjects and mixing your ideas with what you're comfortable with. It really works. Looking forward to see all the stages again. :-)

Caroline B said...

Well done Sue!

I love the 'swoopy' perspective in the new sketch - will be watching it's progress with interest!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Well done, Sue and good luck with your new idea. Am looking forward to seeing this one develop too. BFN. Lesley

Jan said...

Well done, they are lucky to have you! The new sketch looks very promising. The skewed perspective worked very well in Dinner, and gives a new twist to the new sketch. Charlie was from an unusual angle too, part of its charm.