Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A new block


I've started engraving the latest block after chopping , changing and tweaking the rough sketches. What you see on the block as it stands is only the basic outline. The rough is full of tones and textures, which I love experimenting with. The porthole-shaped window on the side of the house is way too big and will be adjusted down, when I get to it.

I've also pencilled in a chilly seagull, if your eyes are sharp enough to spot it. I'm not sure she'll make an appearance in the final cut, but she's lurking, just in case.

For the interested, the block is an old pearwood block that I had resurfaced by blockmaker Chris Daunt. And it's 90mm x 128mm.

More tomorrow, all being well.

9 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

It's looking good already. Can't wait to see the progress you'll be making. I find the progress totally fascinating.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Oh, pear wood! how cool.

Lynne Chapman said...

This looks great - I love the crazy perspective in your work: it gives things a dream-like quality.

Chris.P said...

It's looking good so far.

You have got a lot to live up to after yiour last piece though:¬)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Hi Sue, think I've spotted the seagull and also think I know where your viewpoint is - a little bit East of the previous engraving, somewhere near the steps that lead to The Warren from the Station Car Park? It's going to be good! Best wishes. Lesley

Jan said...

This is great, reminds me of those old maps (eg.Mappa Mundi) with the houses and monsters all out of scale and at weird angles. I feel sorry for the poor soul with the shopping bags climbing all those steps.

About me said...

I have just come across your blog.... first impressions - just loving your work - can't wait to explore further.
Julie

Gordon Fraser said...

Looking good Auntie Sue! Can't wait to see it progress!

Sue said...

Thanks for the comments, all.
D Moll- The block is a 1980's survivor that I had resurfaced. My original engraving on it was a very early effort and truly awful, so I'm happy to start afresh on the (slightly slimmer) block. And it saves money....and pear trees! LOL!

Sea Blue- sorry, this composition is a figment of my imagination this time. Loosely based on the generic Cornish village again though.