Friday, July 10, 2009

Dinner is Served!

That's the title of the print, and here it is. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out. I had a good print session, the block printed fairly easily and I was able to make full use of my home made drying rack. It's so much better than laying wet prints down over surfaces, windowsills etc! Here are a few pics:


Here is the rack strung out in my studio. I've only made half the length of pegs I originally planned for now, till I can move into a bigger space. There are 48 there though and that's not bad. Each colour represents 12 prints so I can keep an eye on how many I'm printing without all that tedious counting.
Many thanks to David Harrison for his idea, which I adapted. This rack cost me about £15 which includes postage and packing charges. I didn't have to buy the cord as I had enough in the shed, but blind cord would do the job. It needed an application of hair wax to the cut end though, to make it easier when I was threading the cord through the beads as the bead hole was only just big enough.


And here it is in use. The only thing I found was that the thin Japanese paper I print on was almost too thin for the pegs to hold. However, I merely tore up small strips of tissue paper and folded them between the jaws of each peg, as I pegged each print. It serves a dual purpose of protecting the paper surface, too. I'm really pleased with it. When I have a permanent spot for it I'll make up the other 48 pegs/ beads so I have a print hanging capacity of 96. Double that, if I put them back to back.

Now onto the next engraving!

20 comments:

PG said...

That is my favouritest print of all that you have done! Are you going to enter it for anything?
I love the drying rack, will have to pinch that idea one day.

Magpie Magic said...

This is lovely. Full of energy and interesting things to look at. Fingers crossed if you're entering it into a competition. You should do as it's so good.

David Harrison said...

Nicely done, Sue! And I love the seagull print -- funny, while reading your post the seagull outside set up the most almighty racket!

printmakerdoug said...

Wonderful print Sue. I love the perspective and have appreciated your posts on its creation.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

What a great print! Love the way you color coded your count on that ultra nice drying rack.

Bette Norcross Wappner -- said...

Fantastic carving, print, and drying rack!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

The print has turned out so well - and what an excellent drying system - it's been really interesting to follow your progress. Bye for now. Lesley

Georgina said...

I love the print. I like the texture of the chimney and the perspective, very well executed. The drying rack is excellent also!

MaRegina said...

congratulations !
a great idea
kissea and thanks

MaRegina

Annie B said...

Wonderful print! I think someone already said this, but I love the view into the kitchen through the open door. Great work.

Jan said...

Hmm, I can see there will be a run on wooden beads and clothes pegs. Smart idea, you can take it down when you're not using it and it doesn't take up any space. I *really* like the print, and am saving my allowance.....the day job will be quaking in its boots.

Sue said...

Thanks all, for your kind comments and your patience for following all the steps. It's much appreciated.

I have to number up the edition now, then I shall send one off to see if it gets selected for the Society of Wood Engravers Annual Exhibition. Everything's crossed!

In the meantime, I was wondering what to do for my next print and last night I had a dream.......and scribbled down a quick sketch first thing when I got up, so I didn't forget it. Watch this space!

natural attrill said...

I havent visited for a while, and now find all this, it's very interesting to find out about the process. The pegging with tissue paper is a good idea, and the colour coding to keep an eye on the numbers is a great idea. You prob think me mad, but i really like the look of line and pegs itself!!
As well, (of course) the engraving itself is lovely, fingers crossed it is accepted at the annual exhibition. Good luck!
Penny.

Gordon Fraser said...

Excellent Auntie Sue!

email me so I can get your email!!!

(might be able to help with your PS dilema!!)

natural attrill said...

like the seagull!

Toby.

Caroline B said...

Ingenious dryer! The finished print is lovely - so much to see.

Chris.P said...

I'm really impressed Sue. Love the perspective.

Reminds me of the view when I walk passed the houses in St Ives.

Ellen Shipley said...

Love this! 8-]

Gordon Fraser said...

Congrats me deario on your acceptance thinghy!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

About me said...

1001 uses for pegs this has to be one of the best.