Thursday, July 09, 2009

Almost there!


I have just proofed the amended block again and here it is, alongside the last proof as comparison. (Latest one to the right)

Just a little tidying up and a few thin cuts of the shaded decking, extending to the base of the shaded wall. I will possibly soften the white line around the roofs edges to give them a little more space between them and the background. Then I *think* that's it, ready to put it to bed.

If I don't print today (I have a migraine coming on, so my vision is not too good at the moment), it'll be tomorrow. Possibly I'll leave it till tomorrow, as I can have a full day taking my time and also I MIGHT have my home-made print drying rack finished! I would love one of those smart wooden racks with marbles that hold the sheets in place, but at nearly £100 it's out of my range. So I'm basing my home-made affair on a design thought up by David Harrison

As they say, 'Watch this space'!

9 comments:

Annie B said...

Excellent! Lightening up the woman's dress made all the difference. Thanks for sharing these proofs. It helps me understand how tough it is to work with just black and white. Love what you said in a previous post about pondering time being as important as anything else. Hope the headache has passed.

Magpie Magic said...

It's looking great. I love the feeling of space at the top and the quirky perspective. The changes have made a big difference to the depth and clarity of the print. Well done.

Hope your migraine has passed you by. I know what they're like so empathise!

Jan said...

I agree, it can be difficult to get the balance of black and white right in an image. Sometimes there are just too many marks, but I think you've got it. The strong structure helps. Thanks for sharing this, I've learnt a lot.

Sue said...

Thanks for the comments, all.

Luckily, I don't get much pain with my migraines, just a lot of visual disturbance. I got rid of the one this morning, then another came along this afternoon! I feel fine now, though, thanks for the wishes.

I'm feeling positive about this print, I've felt in control of the whole process, for about the first time! Even printing the proofs has been painless, now I know my press a bit better and have the right paper. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Sharri said...

This is a lovely print - full of narrative and excellently told. I find it interesting that after watching the carving of the block for so long I now need to do a major adjustment to look at the print. (the print is backwards, don't you know? LOL) I never experience this with my work, or with watching Annie's develop, so I wonder if it is that it is in B/W. It's an interesting phenomenon...

Sue said...

Cheers, Sharri. You're not alone with the adjustment thing. I think you have to take the image by surprise, so I sometimes take it to a mirror and view it there. Anything 'iffy' generally jumps out at me.
You could be right about the black and white thing. And my husband of all people has only just figured out that the bits I cut away DON'T print! LOL!

woll said...

Only just figured out....!!! We shall have words young lady.

Hubby ;o)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

It's great to see the print taking shape, I hadn't noticed before and really like, that the 'patio doors' are open revealing the cottage kitchen interior. Pat yourself on the back, Sue - it's really good!

Caroline B said...

I really like this - are you going to put prints on your Etsy shop when they are done?