Friday, June 26, 2009

Engraving en plein air

This morning was warm and sunny so I decided to take my engraving kit outside to the patio and work there.

I set up my stuff as usual; block on the leather sandbag, burins in groups to the right for easy access, dish of talc to rub over and make the cuts more visible and small practice block to the left, on which to check tool sharpness and test textures. Also visible is the little arkansas block for sharpening and my sketch. The only thing missing is my lamp, but I have plenty of light coming from the great lamp in the sky..........


......and an engraver !

9 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Lovely set up, what about snacks and tea?

PG said...

OOH! You had the sun! Lucky you! Pass some down here when you've finished with it please!

Sue said...

Yes, tea and stickies on the patio; very civilised!

I'm sorry, Gretel, the sun's all run out, now! It's gone cloudy and the breeze is a bit fresher. I'm back in the studio engraving a little seagull.

Mary-Laure said...

Wow, how fascinating! I'd love to learn more about this technique and how you came to master it.

natural attrill said...

How nice to be outside working.
Penny.

Gordon Fraser said...

Gorgeous garden Auntie Sue!

fhiona galloway said...

lovely! so nice when you can actually work outside but doesn't always work out that well I find... especially if sun is out :0) Don't tend to get much work done!
Lovely garden Sue!
Lovely engraving too :0)
Lovely!

Sue said...

Mary-Laure, When I have a quieter moment or so, I'll try and blog that. I'm certainly no master of the technique but a true lover of it. It keeps my arty side sane!

Hi Penny, It's looking dull outside today (Monday) and I'm chained to my Mac, Maybe later I can escape again...

Goth, Thankyou, kind sir. It looks great in pictures but there are weedy tracts still being cleared. We have a 'wildlife' area at the end that is resisting all efforts to tame it. We're happy to just mow it and let it be a bit rough.

Sue said...

Hi Fhi, Thanks!