Thursday, May 21, 2009

A new cut

It's been so long since I last posted....various reasons such as the dratted 'day job' , but I have managed to snatch the odd Friday for my engraving work. I have temporarily shelved the engraving idea posted in my last but one post, showing the young bather. Something kept poking at me regarding the composition so I haven't started cutting yet and the block will remain on the shelf while I think about it further.

However, hubby and I happened to take a trip down to our favourite part of this lovely island, to Cornwall, in late April and I came home with photos that have formed the twinkling of another idea. A day trip on the bus to St Ives, where we were stalked by predatory seagulls as we ate our lunchtime pasties, the great way the houses seem to stack on top of one another, as they march down the hill to the harbour. The tiny little back yards glimpsed from vantage points higher up, which I'm sure the seagulls would also take advantage of, watching for hapless patio diners.


Well, here's my idea...and my first cuts. Wish me luck! I decided to get the cutting of the seagull's eye out of the way first, in case it went horribly wrong. Happily I exceeded my own expectations and made a decent job of it! I am so enjoying this one.

5 comments:

natural attrill said...

Oh I love the look of this, the design is great, cant wait to see how it all turns out, good luck!
Penny

Magpie Magic said...

This is lovely. I like the movement in it and the 'life' and story of it. I can't wait to see it finished!

Lynn said...

I love this one! The quirky perspective is wonderful. Can't wait to see how it progresses!!
Lynn from barenforum

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Me again - looking through older posts to follow progress of your engraving and yes, of course it's Cornwall, St Ives, where I am!
BFN. Lesley

Sue said...

LOL! yup, it's loosely based on the view from St Ives' bus station. Well done! And I'm sooooo jealous that you live there! ;-)