Wednesday, May 27, 2009


Here is another stage of the cut. I managed to do a little last evening, but the light wasn't too good as I was out of the studio, so I took things slowly. You can see I rub talc into the engraved lines so I can see a little better where I've been and how I'm doing. It's a useful trick, but you have to be scrupulous about brushing it all out before you approach the block with a rollerful of ink!

I've decided to add a little foliage to the patio area; a few pencil marks on the block serve to remind me. I hope to cut some more this evening, maybe I'll remember to take my lamp this time. I think my eyes would thank me for it.

I wish I could ditch the day job and engrave more, but, sadly, a living has to come first. I do actually enjoy many aspects of the day job (educational illustration), it's often fun, sometimes a challenge and importantly, a steady income. I can work in my jim-jams if I like (but I never do!) as my studio is a spare room at home. No rush-hour traffic for me. This is the life I always wanted, so bring on the lottery win....then the day job can be gently released into the wild and I can enjoy my printmaking more often.

6 comments:

Lynne Chapman said...

This is going to be a fabulous print - I really love the viewpiont. The talc is a great idea!

Magpie Magic said...

It's looking great already. I wish I could watch whilst you engrave. I'd love to see the process.

Annie B said...

I love the perspective on this. Good to have the day job, even though.

natural attrill said...

Thats interesting, using the talc, good idea.
I often work in my jim jams!
Penny.

Caroline B said...

Looking forward to seeing this one completed - love that gull!

Sue said...

Thanks for the comments! I'm enjoying carving this so much.