Saturday, October 11, 2008

Almost time to proof


As you can see, progress has been made and although I need still to lighten some areas, such as the ghostly player at the back and one player's shirt, I'm just about ready for a preliminary proof. I'll keep the background a bit rough and choppy for now.

As this is a maple block and a bit crumblier than box I'm having to keep my burins very sharp. It's quite tricky to do without bowing the cutting face of the blade and I definitely need more practice to get it right.

And here you can see the beast I've got on 'permanent' loan from my mother...a 'Vision England Stereoramic 'magnifying light. It's rather heavy and was rescued from my Dad's drawing office back in the 70's, when it was being thrown out. It has x2 magnification, which is perfect for my purposes. Just enough to take the strain off my eyes, not so much that I'm tempted to cut detail too small for the naked eye!

6 comments:

Annie B said...

Wow wow wow! You've got some great movement happening here. I like the lines on the foreground player's arm and how those lines sweep up toward the windy lines of his hair. Is this one of the most intricate works you've done?
As for sharpening -- arggghhh!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Exciting ! ! !:~) I like your stippling. The composition is full of great movement, as it should be considering the subject matter.

Magpie Magic said...

Really like this one, there's so much energy and focus in the players. Great subject and I love the composition. Can't wait to see the end product!

PG said...

Looking excellent, can't wait to see how it turns out. That is some big beast you have there, in that magnifying machine!

Diane Cutter said...

Sue, what a wonderful piece this will be, lots of great movement, interesting changes in cuts. I look forward to seeing it evolve.

natural attrill said...

What a fab old magnifyer!
Your work is looking good, cant wait to see more.
P.x