Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cornish Cream



Back off our holidays, a trip to Cornwall, which gave a welcome break and moments of sheer inspiration. I went to the Tate St Ives again with a friend, while hubby surfed Porthmeor beach, just in front of the gallery (big waves, too!). After a suitable period of drooling over a particular group of St Ives school works (Ben Nicholson, Peter Lanyon, Barbara Hepworth and company) we moved onto Barbara Hepworth's house and studio just down the road. I'll put a few shots of her amazing sculpture garden in a later post. Suffice it to say, I was enthralled by her wonderful pieces arranged as if naturally amongst complementary plantings of shrubs and flowers. I could have sat there all day.

Anyway, while I was away I attempted to carry on with my rugby block but was scotched by the lack of adequate light in our lodgings. I had to wait till we came home to carry on with it...most frustrating!


Here you can see I've started building up the tones and the features on one of the players. I don't want him too smooth, but rugged and a little brutish. (Many thanks, incidentally, to Simon Bryant, who very kindly not only gave me permission to use a section of one of his fabulous photographs from the web as a starting point to this engraving, but who sought me out before a Cornish Pirates match in Camborne and handed me a real photograph of it as it had a bit more detail than the web version. What a nice man....I've promised him a print!)

5 comments:

Sarah and Jon said...

The sculpture garden is wonderful - we could have stayed there all day too!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Sounds like a good holiday topped off with a great connection ! Block is looking very exciting.

natural attrill said...

Glad you had a good hol, shame about the bad light though. I look forward to seeing more of your work soon.
P.x

muddy red shoes said...

hey you! Congrats ref the portrait of Charlie!

Sue said...

Thanks for the comments, all. Now getting back into the swing of things; I've borrowed an ancient magnifier lamp from my mum, which isn't really portable, it's so heavy but it's great. I can see much better and don't have to have my anglepoise on,that bulb chucks out a lot of heat. Not ideal for woodblocks.