Friday, August 15, 2008

motley bottom



In the far recesses of Castle Woollatt's archives, I rediscovered this scraperboard image, circa 1984. I thought you might be interested. It measures 23cm x 15cm.

In the 60's, Dr Beeching closed down innumerable rural railway lines and took away the tracks, rendering many railway buildings defunct. Some people bought up the old stations, including platforms and converted them for living, which is what these two have done. So where the 8.45 to Paddington used to thunder through, a row of cabbages now flourish.


A detail:

5 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

How charming, it is funny what we find hidden away. I thin I would like to live in a train station.

PG said...

LOL, have you been digging about in your dusty folios too? That's a fairly hefty size for scraperboard, especially with such lovely detail. (The little one I showed was a tiny 9cm wide). I think the world is over due a scraper board revival!

Sue said...

I'd love to live somewhere like that, too. A readymade verandah/patio! LOL!

I agree, a scraperboard revival is long overdue! I have a massive sheet in my store, as yet untouched all these years. One day.........

d. moll, l.ac. said...

PSsst award for you at my blog....

Caroline B said...

That's lovely Sue! I admire your detail & perspective too.