Thursday, August 21, 2008

Final cut and print


I lightened the little finger, as I said I would and I think it's made all the difference. I'm pleased by the way this went and I learned so much about working from the darkest tones to the lightest and handling the tools. The experience all stands me in good stead for my next print.

I printed this little block on Zerkall paper, using a wooden spoon to burnish it. It's an edition of 20. I didn't use my press due to the fact that this box block is slightly over type height (0.9186 inch) and my press's impression cylinder doesn't go over it. I have a little box of small blocks, all slightly over type high and will try at some stage to get them sliced down to size. That said, hand burnishing wasn't too onerous and I still enjoyed the process. I have weak wrists though, so I couldn't hand burnish a long run!

I'm in the process of organising a little 'shop' on the craft site Etsy to sell my prints. That should be up and running soon.

I have several rough ideas for engravings mulling around in my head, but few blocks on my store shelf at the moment, although I have earmarked several ancient blocks from some 28 years ago (when I tried my first engravings) for resurfacing by Chris Daunt, the blockmaker. That will ultimately give me at least 6 good box and pear wood blocks to re engrave. In the meantime I have a 21/2" x 3" maple block to play with. I'd like to try a figure or figures.

Watch this space!

3 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Looks great! I like the bright light between the second and third fingers echoed by the the little finger. Bet you get your Etsy shop going before I get mine up....

Caroline B said...

This has turned out so well - looks terrific now you've emphasized the little finger slightly. Good luck with your Etsy shop - isn't it a chore setting it up!!

Sarah and Jon said...

It looks brilliant!

Good luck with your Etsy shop too!