Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Design transferred to block


The photos here show the design reversed and transferred to the maple endgrain block. It's just 2" x 3" but I think the bold design will carry it off.


As you can see, the design has been adjusted and strengthened by overpainting in dry white gouache. Mainly , I did this because when I darkened the block, my pencil lines all but vanished so I thought I'd take another hint out of Simon Brett's book (see last post) and use a little gouache.

It's a good way to adjust the design on block, actually. I had my doubts, but it works. If you use carbon paper or any direct tracing technique to put your image on the block, you can find the design looks stiff and lacks the immediacy of your pencil sketch. I like to sketch direct onto the block, but in this case the positioning of the elements was important so I did a simple carbon transfer then used that as a base to sketch over it in fine black pen and white gouache.

Now for the cutting, which will take a little while as I have a couple of illustration jobs to do before my holiday starts on Saturday. I shall post again before I go.

4 comments:

Caroline B said...

This has got a great sense of movement already - I'm interested to see the finished article!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Very dynamic for a 2 x 3 image! WOW.

natural attrill said...

Wow, you have been busy since I last visited, its really interesting to see all your work, thanks for sharing.
P.x

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Wotch you up to? I got my Etsy going, you can too ! ! !