Friday, July 11, 2008

Final print


It took me a while to sort out and finish cutting ,but here it is. There are bits I like and bits I'm not happy with, but I'm never totally satisfied with any of my work. I've learned a considerable amount from creating this block, both in cutting and printing. In that, it's been a very positive experience.

Now I've taken the decision to use part of my working week to apply myself to my wood engraving I hope I make faster progress and return the element of creativeness to my working week. My recent educational illustration jobs have been something of a treadmill in their repetitiveness and inflexibility (the sheer amount of it, too has been draining) and I'm feeling stuck in a rut.

So...off to my sketchbook to plan my next block. I still have a maple piece and lots of ideas. Watch this space!

4 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I like the sox, the folds in the pants and the book, especially. How long did it take you? What did you learn?

Sue said...

Hi d.moll,l.ac., Thank you for your kind comments!
I cut the block in odd moments over several weeks; took much longer than it should, which is why I decided to create at least one dedicated wood engraving day out of my working week. When I did manage two whole days engraving, it took shape very quickly.
Learning-wise, I learned the hard way not to judge a block too much till you've taken a proof. The lines on the block can look very different when printed. I took my first proof when I thought I was almost 'there' but the print proved otherwise and it was back to another session of cutting.

I also learned more about inking up the block. I'm still very much a learner and it took me a while to get rid of white specks on the prints without blocking out the details.

Caroline B said...

This has turned out beautifully Sue - looks so cozy!

PG said...

Super print Sue, a really lovely atmosphere. Especially getting it done within all that illustration...(sighs heavily with empathy).