Friday, March 28, 2008

Le Weekend



Here's the start of the latest print. It's a taste of the weekend in the Scribbly Cottage household. Blazing fire in the stove, good books and magazines to leaf through idly, a cuppa in my favourite Cornish blue mug and my feet up on the coffee table....bliss! I've moved the line of the fireplace left to avoid it making a visual line with the foot and leg.

You can see the original scribbles in my sketchbook and the design inked onto the maple block. I've never used maple before. I know it's softer than box; it'll be interesting to see how I get on.


I started the block and am finding the wood not quite as crisp to cut as box but ok as long as my tools are kept sharp. In my quest to experiment a little with the process, I'm trying for a slightly looser, sketchier feel, with the outlines more broken.

I'll be printing tomorrow; only a working proof of this one unless I manage to finish it, but I'm determined to have a day pottering with the press.

6 comments:

Ellen Shipley said...

Ah, sweet. 8-] Love the polka dot socks.

Andy English said...

Lovely image - my sketchbooks seem to include lots of feet, some of which have made interesting prints. The steaming Cornish mug helps make this very welcoming indeed.

Good luck with the Maple - sharp tools are indeed the order of the day. For me, it works best with straighter lines and I need to take great care to stop curves splintering a bit at the edge of the cut.

Very much looking forwards to seeing how this one turns out.

I'm glad that the new roller/brayer is working out well - you'll find it worth every penny.

Annie B said...

Now there's a place I'd like to be! Nice design and it looks like the carving is coming along well. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Sue said...

Thankyou for all your comments. I'm certainly enjoying the engraving!

natural attrill said...

Looking good Sue, love the socks!
P.x

Jess said...

Sounds like fun!