Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wobbly blocks and rollers too

I've at last started to get a little time for my printmaking! The wobbly cottage block has been adjusted and proofs were taken both on the press and by hand. The best results as you can see, were patchy. Looking at my rubber brayer (roller) it seems I have an uneven area that's not picking up ink and although I've tried to work round this by only inking with the good area, it's proving difficult.

So...I need to bite the financial bullet and buy a durathene refill for my old brass brayer holder. My old roller melted into a gooey mess, as they did in those days...these new ones are free of that problem, but expensive, which was why I tried to economise by getting the cheaper rubber rather than the durathene, in the first place. It's going to be a cool £42 for a refill, but if it means I can actually print the cost is insignificant.

In the meantime, I'm busy hacking down the background on the doggie block. It's slow work with the round scorper but I'm getting there and I haven't gouged myself, as I did with the chisel tool!

8 comments:

Annie B said...

What a sweet print! Sorry to hear about your brayer. I know you'll be glad you made the investment, though.

I sliced my own finger with a blade a couple of days ago and thought of you! It's a dangerous business.

Caroline B said...

I like your print Sue - especially the palm peeking round the cottage.

PG said...

Yes, what is it with these palms everywhere? Are they Cornish? Darling little cottage and I heartily sympathise with the ongoing financial black hole which is printmaking of all kinds...

David Harrison said...

Brayers and wobbly blocks aside, that's a lovely image! Glad to hear you're injury-free, and best of luck with the new brayer et al.

willow said...

Just found your site today and absolutely love your woodcuts! Do you post often? I will stop by again.

Val Cox said...

beautifully done, timeless!

Karen Woodyatt said...

Hi Sue,
just found your blog whilst looking for a new roller! I cant decide whether to buy a new rubber student quality roller or go for a durathene....any advice?

Sue said...

Hi Karen,
The durathene roller I have is the best I have used. It rolls a very fine, thin layer of ink, perfect for engravings. For lino or wood cut I'd probably use my student rubber roller. The rubber roller didn't work for me on engravings, but some engravers like them. The durathene is very expensive in comparison, but at least these days they don't do all 'melty' after a few years!
Good luck!