Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Chinese paper?

Doggie engraving is ready for his final proof and any odd tidying up of scorped-away bits, but I won't have the chance till the weekend. If I'd done this project during work hours it would have been completed ages ago.....argh! Anyway, I have so far printed on newsprint, which is nice but not a long-term prospect because of it's tendency to yellow and go brittle in time. I was wondering which sort of paper would be suitable for printing with a spoon to my Mum, also an artist (in odd moments), when she suddenly said...'Aha!' and reached in her plan chest. She drew out a pack about 18 1/4" x 12 1/4", soft thin paper covered by a sheet of paper with Chinese writing, as shown below. She bought it in Birmingham years ago to do watercolour, but didn't get on with it's absorbent qualities. She said if I can use it I can have it! It looks promising, I'm dying to have a play with it. Almost 50 sheets!
Does anyone know if this is Woodcut paper? What do the characters say? Do you think I'll get on ok with it using letterpress ink?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chinese paper should work very well. My favorite paper for relief printing is Nepalese Lama Li Bright, which is made from the fibers of the Lokta plant - not only beautiful, it is both environmentally and socially responsible! I use waterbased relief ink from Daniel Smith, but I've seen reference on Barenforum to similar inks available in Britain.

I *never* dampen the paper, though. Doesn't need it and if you aren't careful you end up with fiber soup...

I can't wait to see the finished print - You have captured the true wickedness of JRTs!

Annie Fitt
www.anniefitt.etsy.com

Annie B said...

Hi Sue,

I can so relate to your lament "if I had done this project during work hours..." I sometimes feel that I'll burst just waiting for free time to work on my self-generated projects.

Can't read the Chinese, but I look forward to hearing your report on how the paper takes your letterpress ink.

Caroline B said...

I can't wait to see the finished article!
Caroline

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

These prints are absolutely beautiful!
Love the Chinese paper and characters. The RED!